Re: gEDA-user: A Suggestion FOR Karel

First let me say that I really enjoy reading the posts on this forum.  Most of the posts are very informative about electronics in general, as well as addressing many issues that I might have once I start using the tool.  My last board design was done using KiCad, and I haven't started officially using geda yet.  My next board design in the next few months will definitely be done using geda, so I like to follow the forum in preparation.

However, having my inbox completely filled with little bug reports on the tool is a bit annoying.  It makes me start mass deleting emails, which I don't really want to do.  I might miss something important by doing this, but many times I have no choice.  I see that there is a bug tracking system in place, and I wish people would start using that instead of the forum.  Of course I have no real say since I'm not a developer on this project, but like I said earlier, I do really enjoy most of what's going on with this forum.

One good thing about bugzilla for tracking bugs, is that everyone gets a vote as to whether a bug submission should be fixed, and ownership can easily be assigned.  I have personally setup bugzilla at my work, and it really was not very hard to setup or configure.  I don't know much about Mantis, but bugzilla is really good for a large group of developers, and can easily handle the separation of each of the geda projects.  It also forces you to split a project into components which is also a useful feature.

Anyway, I'm really hoping that I don't have to read bug reports so frequently on the forum, cause there are really many better uses of it, like for discussion on EDA and problems with using this tool.  If you know something is a bug, why waste everyone's time with it?

On 2/26/06, Dan McMahill <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Karel Kulhavy wrote:

>>My heavens - I never respond with RTFM as an answer to questions or
>>statements on a software user list,
>>but it seems to me that anyone on this mailing list who didn't know that
>>PCB already had a bug tracking system
>>never bothered read the most basic of text files that shipped with the
>>program.

> Instead of calling implicitly people that didn't notice existence of bug
> tracking system morons, I suggest "Bugs" link to be added to PCB
> homepage. Takes about the same time.

you mean like the link front and center on the pcb home page to the bug
tracker?

I moved it just now to the left column to see if that will be more visible.

-Dan