gEDA-user: ground plane fill

Hi,

I am new to gEDA and beginning my first non-trivial project. I have experimented with different layouts trying to get a feel for the pcb program and cannot seem to get the polygon/rectangle fill to work properly. It seems other layout programs (eagle,protel) allow you to perform the routes, get everything the way you want it, and then apply a fill over the existing board. Normally, this will provide proper clearance around parts, traces, vias, etc... but the behavior seems different when using pcb. Can someone point me in the right direction or provide a short answer on the proper usage of the polygon/rectangle fill function.

Thanks,
Ryan