Re: gEDA-user: DRC/rat quirks

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:28:16AM -0700, Andy Peters wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2007, at 8:37 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
> Ben Jackson wrote:
> >>but I would like the ratsnesting to work in a sane
> >>fashion and I'd like auto DRC to let me actually draw traces to
> >>pads in the same net...
> >
> >Please be specific about which version and what bugs
>
> One bug/annoyance I can think of is when moving a footprint, with
> rats-nest enabled, the rats-nest lines don't move smoothly with the
> footprint.  After  you drop the part in the new location, you have to
> zoom in or out to clean up the rats-nest.

That's one.  Another is that the rats for a net don't go away unless you
can get your line to end exactly the right place, which doesn't work for
me even with "snap to pad".  Also, the rat wire should give visual feedback
as you route a net -- rats to routed pads should disappear as you place
tracks that complete segments.

As for the DRC, I've played with a few boards.  Each time I end up
with at least one rat wire going between two pads which I can't route
because the auto-DRC won't let me onto the second pad.  This might be
related to the fact that my wire didn't start at the right place, despite
it starting on the snap point that caused the new line to exactly cover
the rat...

There's another thread going on where someone is concerned about trusting
a new feature in PCB when fabbing a board.  Well, it's all new to me, and
I don't know if I trust it yet.  Maybe it has fabulous internals and a
quirky interface, or maybe the internals are just as quirky...

> I'm on PCB version 20060822 (the latest in fink) on OS X 10.4.8 on
> Intel.

I'm on PCB version 20060822 (latest freebsd ports) on FreeBSD 4.9 on
Intel, displaying to X.org.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>