gEDA-user: New user - Hierarchy problem

I an a new user of gEDA and have completed one single level schematic and
am working on a second schematic. This second one has a top level page
with a lower level section repeated four times. After a lot of reading on
the web, looking at the examples, and experimentation, I have created the
symbol for the underlying sheet and added pins for the connections to the
circuits. I have given the pins labels, type, number, and sequence
numbers. I added the "source=" attribute pointing to my underlying
schematic file. In the schematic source I have added six in-1.sym and two
out-1.sym connectors and have assigned a refdes to each equal to the label
of the pins on the upper level symbol for the schematic. From the top
level schematic, I can use the "Down Schematic" and "Down Symbol"
functions to navigate between them all.

When I run gnetlist -g drc2 on the lower level schematic, it says that
there are no errors and no warnings but does complain that I have eight
pins that do not have a type attribute and then names the eight IO
connectors by their refdes attributes.

When I run the same command on the top level schematic, I get a long list
of "Duplicated references for every symbol in the underlying schematic, I
get another list for duplicate slot 1 of every symbol, and I get errors on
three of my inputs, listing the components to which they should have been
connected, saying the nets connect to only one pin. The other three inputs
and the two outputs are fine. In fact, if I run gnetlist -g pads to create
a net list, one of the three nets that that says it only has one pin
connected, actually has the complete list of pins that should have been
connected, including pins on the top level and into the lower level
schematics. That now leaves me with two nets that don't connect between
the upper and lower levels and I can't figure out what is going on. They
all have the same types of pins, attributes, etc.

I am evidently doing something wrong and I need some help in pointing me
in the right direction.

Thanks,
Steve