Re: gEDA-user: xgsch2pcb and gschem

On Monday 18 February 2008 21:43:31 joel silvestre wrote:
> Le lundi 18 février 2008 à 16:32 +0000, Peter Clifton a écrit :
> > If your library path is listed OK in /etc/ld.so.conf, then it ought to
> > be possble to make this work. Did you pass an explicit path to the gnome
> > application launcher?
>
> I try, doesn't make any change.
>
> > Try re-running ldconfig (as root), to rebuild library links etc..
> >
> > And check the output of:
> >
> > "ldd ~/local/bin/gschem" (or wherever you are running gschem from), and
> > see which libgeda.so it picks up.
>
> libgeda is the right one at the right place.
>
> > Having muliple gEDA installed in different locations can cause grief
> > like this. It is completely possible to install gEDA in your home-dir,
> > but the desktop integration doesn't work so well in general.
>
> I  uninstall and remove all old geda installation in /usr
> and /usr/local, clean everything I found related to geda and finally
> uninstall current geda installation, download fresh geda sources and
> install in  $HOME/local directory.
> Doesn't make a change...
>
> I try to install in /usr/local but I stop because it require to
> configure and compile as root.
>
> When launched from a terminal xgsch2pcb works pretty well so it's not a
> problem for me at all.
> If there is any interest I can make further checks.

Are your LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc set in your .bashrc, or your .bash_profile?

*Not* from a terminal (e.g. in some window managers press Alt-F2 to get
a "Run" dialog), run the following command and report the results:

  zenity --info --text=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Also, run the same command from a terminal.

For me, I get:

- Blank message for the Alt-F2 route
- /home/peter/opt/lib from a terminal

The blank message means that any program run from a menu icon or desktop icon
will not pick up the correct environment to be able to run programs which
require libgeda (from your description, it sounds like this isn't your issue,
but please check anyway).

Many window managers' "Run" windows allow you to specify that you want the
command to "Run in a terminal window".  Please do this for xgsch2pcb, and
report any output when it attempts to launch gschem (this is different from
running it from a bash prompt in a terminal window, in that the environment
will be that of the window manager rather than that of the interactive
shell).

We'll get to the bottom of this (it needs fixing).

                                         Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer