Re: gEDA-user: PCB Ground Plane - Autowiring?

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 16:09 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 07:14:28 -0500, Ethan Swint wrote:
>
> > The way I do this is to put my mouse over a via in the appropriate net,
> > hit 'F' for 'Find', save the file.  Then, in a text editor, I navigate
> > to the via section and replace all of the "found" flags with
> > "found,thermal(1x)" or whatever layer I am looking for.
>
> This kind of editing on found objects should be possible from within the
> GUI. Most apps do this wit a properties dialog. Is there a religious
> reason why there is no properties dialog in pcb?

None.

Actually, if you read the LF scope of work, the idea is included in the
GUI overhaul:

""
select/edit object properties Using menu item or double click on single
object. This is a new action.

If the selected object is a graphical primitive (line, arc, etc), PCB
will open up a window displaying the object properties in an editable
window, allowing for the user to modify the object’s properties. For
example double clicking on a Cu track should open up the edit window,
showing the track’s width, current layer, end type (round vs. square),
and its beginning and end coordinates.
If the selected object is a footprint, PCB will open up a window
allowing the user to select a different footprint name. Some type of
footprint browsing window with previewing should be presented to the
user for this. The footprints should be found by looking through PCB’s
footprint search path. Recommendation: steal the symbol browser window
from gschem for this task. (Question: how to back annotate this info
into the .sch files?)
""

Missed this comment during the consultation phase on this document:

"Recommendation: steal the symbol browser window from gschem for this
task.".

That's exactly what PCB currently has (and has had for over a year):
http://pcjc2.blogspot.com/2008/01/pcb-library-browser.html

The backends are different though.

--
Peter Clifton