gEDA-user: gattrib hacking (was: Re: libgd -- which programs uses it)

Peter Clifton wrote:
> The documentation is still probably hideously out of date in other
> respects though.

Talking of which...

I've been making a pass through the Doxygen documentation for gattrib in
preparation for some changes I've been planning for a while - I haven't
touched any code yet though.

If anyone is interested in having a look, the changes are on the doxying
branch of git://repo.or.cz/geda-gaf/gde.git (browsable at
http://repo.or.cz/w/geda-gaf/gde.git).

(I'm actually working on the doxyhack branch but my git-fu is not good
enough yet to figure out the merge-rebase required to harmonise
everything in sync with the main git HEAD)

Plan is

- finish the doxygen update (soon - this week)
- do some minor refactoring to tidy up some things I've spotted in the
doxygen phase
- do some major refactoring of the internal data structures to allow...
- ...the real change I'm driving towards, which is to allow the gattrib
sheet to be sorted by any column by clicking on the top (as per usual
spreadsheet paradigm) - it would be helpful to me, for example, to see
all the parts with the same VALUE grouped together in a sheet for
assigning footprints, say.

I have no timetable and no grand strategy yet.

Stuart, I have a few questions about some of the design of gattrib - is
it OK to mail you off-list to discuss?

Cheers
Gareth