Re: gEDA-user: why separate xgsch2pcb?

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 09:39 -0500, Chris Cole wrote:
Just curious, why not include xgsch2pcb functionality inside of gschem?

xgsch2pcb was implemented as a proof of concept project manager, and
doesn't really "belong" inside gschem.

gschem supports a great diversity of work-flows, only one of which
involves producing PCBs with the "PCB" package. This means it would be
in-appropriate the make assumptions along these lines in the gschem UI.
I think I see what you're saying...however as an example...if I'm
working in OpenOffice.org, I have the ability to save as ODF, PDF
or even (*gasp*) a proprietary format, although I may never use
more than one workflow. And I wasn't saying that xgsch2pcb should
be a drop-in window "as-is" to gschem, but I think it would be rather
nice if you could generate netlists and output to pcb straight from
gschem. Just a thought. I might even be willing to help if anyone else
is interested in the idea.

There might be future scope for making gschem (and other applications)
"project aware", but that would likely be much less explicit than
xgsch2pcb, as it would need to cater for (or keep out of the way of) all
other work-flows. Better integration is a personal goal of mine though.

Best wishes,

Peter C