Re: gEDA-user: why separate xgsch2pcb?

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 10:10 -0500, Chris Cole wrote:

> I think I see what you're saying...however as an example...if I'm
> working in OpenOffice.org, I have the ability to save as ODF, PDF
> or even (*gasp*) a proprietary format, although I may never use
> more than one workflow. And I wasn't saying that xgsch2pcb should
> be a drop-in window "as-is" to gschem, but I think it would be rather
> nice if you could generate netlists and output to pcb straight from
> gschem. Just a thought. I might even be willing to help if anyone else
> is interested in the idea.

Those Openoffice examples work because the data-formats it exports to
are "compatible" with the contents of the native document. PDF is a
natural export for a document, and if it can be translated, so are other
formats for writing office documents.

I'm not totally opposed to teaching gschem how to call gnetlist and
export various netlist formats, but where it starts to fall apart is
this..

A single schematic is rarely a sufficient description to generate your
design netlist. Only very small designs will 1 schematic -> 1 board, and
that means the "File->Export->PCB netlist" option will not produce
useful output for (probably) the majority of board designs using PCB.

We have no concept which allows us to find (given one open schematic),
which other schematics must be netlisted to together in a given project.
This is where the prerequisite for "better integration" comes -
introducing the concept of a project.

Best wishes,

Peter C.