Re: gEDA-user: why separate xgsch2pcb?

On Feb 9, 2010, at 9:45 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

I'm not totally opposed to teaching gschem how to call gnetlist and
export various netlist formats,

It would be nice to teach gschem to call "make": that's the way to put the pieces together.

This should be a simple scripting problem, except that the gschem scripting API is undocumented, so one needs to be a world's expert on gschem/libgeda internals to write it. If I was one of those world's experts, I'd want to give the API documentation high priority, if only to get myself out of design loops like this.

but where it starts to fall apart is
this..

A single schematic is rarely a sufficient description to generate your
design netlist. Only very small designs will 1 schematic -> 1 board, and
that means the "File->Export->PCB netlist" option will not produce
useful output for (probably) the majority of board designs using PCB.

We have no concept which allows us to find (given one open schematic),
which other schematics must be netlisted to together in a given project.

It seems especially tricky from the point of view of schematic reuse.

This is where the prerequisite for "better integration" comes -
introducing the concept of a project.

"Make" is the tool. The flow contains more than just gschem->netlist. There are all sorts of data products in a project: BOM, simulations, documentation, etc. Often more than one board, and maybe even an ASIC. "Make" can help keep track of all this. And it's enormously handy to have a Makefile for a complex project that has been on ice for a couple of years. No need to remember the build procedures...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx