Re: gEDA-user: FIRST robotics...

On Wednesday 17 February 2010, DJ Delorie wrote:
>Some of you know I've been working with the local high school's FIRST
>robotics team.  Here's a status update:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_VfT5_mEn0
>
>At 0:49 there's a photo of me teaching one of the freshman how to
>assemble a circuit board full of 0603's and PTH parts.  The board was
>designed with gEDA/PCB, etched in my basement, built my him, and works
>like a charm.
>
>And no, I did not have to fix *any* of his soldering.
>
>The board is a manual servo controller, or "servo tool".  Since I
>didn't have any 555's kicking around, it instead has a 16-bit
>microcontroller that makes the pulses and drives an LED array.

D.J.D.;

The rating I would apply to any teaching effort is whether or not the project
works.  It looks like you have succeeded very well.  I believe this makes a
lie out of the old saw about 'those who can't, teach'.  For instilling in
these young folks, a sense of pride in laying it out and doing it right, we
need a squad of cheerleaders to put on a show but I'm fresh out of those.

But, if you are anything at all like me, having the project work at all, let
alone look that professionally built, would make me very proud of myself as
well as giving me some better ideas for the next years classes.  And proud is
what I think you should be.  Pride in what one has done well is a reward in
and of itself.  But I suspect you already knew that.

Congratulations are in order, and here are mine.  Thank you for posting the
link.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I didn't order any WOO-WOO ... Maybe a YUBBA ... But no WOO-WOO!