Re: gEDA-user: FIRST robotics...

On Wednesday 17 February 2010, DJ Delorie wrote:
>> D.J.D.;
>
>For those who don't know - DJ is my name, not my initials.

Oops, sorry.  I didn't do that intentionally, I just assumed that the DJ was
for David James or some such.  My apologies.

>> For instilling in these young folks, a sense of pride in laying it
>> out and doing it right, we need a squad of cheerleaders to put on a
>> show but I'm fresh out of those.
>
>I think that's the whole point of FIRST - For Inspiration and
>Recognition of Science and Technology.  We mentors are now starting to
>think about what to do in the "off season" to (1) keep the kids
>interested, and (2) show the rest of the school what we're up to.
>I've suggested robot mascots at the football games :-)

I think that's a jolly idea.  Not only does the programming and inevitable
maintenance teach them even more, but it shows off the talents of both you
and the kids, in front of a whole grandstand full of frogs.  There will be
those who downplay it as wasting the schools money, but those same people
have probably voted against any excess school tax levies since they were old
enough to buy beer.  Hell, I may be 75 and fading, but dammit folks that's
the best tax money I ever paid.  If it makes the diff between a productive
adult, and one who is so poorly trained to do anything that he's a regular
customer at the county jail, it is worth it.

Same scene, if it heads off one bored troublemaker, that is another point of
pride.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

The trouble with heart disease is that the first symptom is often hard to
deal with: death.
		-- Michael Phelps