Re: gEDA-user: Message and Library windows

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 11:48 +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:30:20 +0000, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> >

> >> Maybe add a Warn function along side Message (or something along those
> >> lines), and add a flag to HID.log that says whether or not to bring
> >> the log window to the foreground?  Or go all out and add an enum for
> >> severity.  It'd be easy to add the plumbing, the hard part would be to
> >> go through and decide what Message()s should be Warn()s, etc.
>
> Why not have a bar (in a "warning" colour) that pops up at the top of the
> layout window, and disappears after a short interval (say, 2 seconds).
> Clicking the bar would bring up the message window.  This is what my phone
> (N900, runs Linux) uses for displaying transient warning/notification
> messages, and it works really nicely.
>
> Peter

Neat idea.. and also seems to be a growingly common idiom in other apps
due to the recognition that focus-stealing and popping up dialogs when
the user isn't expecting them is poor interaction design, resulting in
bad usability if it happens often.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,