Re: gEDA-user: Message and Library windows

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:32:20 -0800, Jared Casper wrote:
> Maybe add a Warn function along side Message (or something along those
> lines), and add a flag to HID.log that says whether or not to bring the
> log window to the foreground?  Or go all out and add an enum for
> severity.  It'd be easy to add the plumbing, the hard part would be to
> go through and decide what Message()s should be Warn()s, etc.
>
> I'm sure different severities could be displayed differently in the log
> quite easily as well...
>
> The functionality I saw someplace (was it in your repo?) to attach/embed
> the log window to the main window will help out with this problem as
> well I think.

Maybe it was in this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cad.geda.user/27394

You find the patch(es) in the sf tracker:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2779826&group_id=73743&atid=538813

The second patch displays a little icon in the status bar when the log is
not visible to inform the user about new messages. But the patches still
lack of some functionality e.g. remembering the last status of the log-
gui when the user leaves the application.

Later in the thread mentioned above Peter C. suggest gdl (gnome docking
library) for such a change. So I spend the last weeks (unfortunately I
was very busy with my b-o-t-job) fighting against a bug in the ubuntu
libgdl package. Now some things are clearer and I'am planing to rework
my patch with libgdl. And the opportunity for different severities
(different colors or little icons, filters, ...) are also in my mind.

Frank Bergmann.