Re: gEDA-user: pads, mask and solder paste

>>> 2) Pads partly covered by solder mask should receive a solder mask
>>> pillow that corresponds to the hole in the mask, rather than to the
>>> pads copper dimensions. Such partly covered pads are useful as a heat
>>> sink.
>>
>> Yes, that works fine - see S005.fp.  This is for a SMD bridge and
>> works exactly as you've described.
>
> Yes, the solder mask is smaller than the copper of the pad. But no,
> if I render the gerbers, the solder paste is still as large as the
> copper. See attachment. If the stencil would be fabricated from these
> files without modification, there would be solder paste printed on top
> of solder mask.

Oh yes, you're right - I remembered that the solder mask was correct
for that part, and mistakenly thought that the paste layer would have
been the same as the solder mask.  I've successfully made PCBs with
this footprint, but haven't needed a solder paste stencil yet (still
at the hand assembly stage).

I imagine that just a few lines of changed code in PCB would be able
to handle this case correctly.