Re: gEDA-user: gEDA Suite CD - round 2

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 14:59:38 +1100, John Sheahan
<jrsheahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alvin Oga wrote:
> > i prefer  "{random}ix that is backed up with a purchase order :-)
> >       where i'm tasked to make it jump up and down and
> >       take them to the moon
> >
> >       - i have yet to find "one" feature that cannot be done
> >       with any random distro ...
>
> Sorry, I'm having real trouble connecting your response to the mail you
> quote.  Knoppix live and its hardware detection is pretty different to
> most commercial distos of any flavour of OS. Seems a pretty relevant
> feature here too.

John: glad I wasn't the only one puzzled about that :-)

> >       powering up and down down of compact flash can be
> >       tricky ... since most filesystems dont like to be
> >       powered off in the middle of reads and writes
> >

> this relates to live / install distro choice how?

John: some Live CDs come with bootloaders that work on USB Flash
drives, which generally includes USB-to-CF bridges.

Alvin: I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Knoppix
sidesteps this issue... the CD/flash drive is read-only, and all
read/write filesystems are either on a hard drive, or in RAM. The
flash never gets "powered off" until the filesystem is unmounted, but
if it isn't mounted read/write, it shouldn't matter.

Or did I miss your point entirely?

--
- Charles Lepple