Re: gEDA-user: Difficulty in border areas

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:11:53PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I also ran into trouble with DSUB connectors and the silk screen
> > trying to place them at the edge of PCB. So this feature request is
> > pretty high on my wish list :-) Yeah, I know - I should find the time
> > and start coding...
>
> It's so easy to just make the work area bigger than the board and have
> an "outline" layer that I doubt this will get addressed soon, if at
> all.

I agree is is easy to enlarge the workarea, but that only creates
space on the bottom and to the right. Ideally I'd like this kind of
space on all sides of the board. For now I can use this method though.

> If this becomes a popular thing to do, we might need to tweak the
> autoroute and autoplace routines to stay within the given outline.

This is the way we work with large board designs at work, typically for
decoupling caps and PLL filters for example we bring in a bunch of
components and group them outside the board outline so that components
that belongs to the same filter for ere next to each other. Then we
can figure out how to arrange the filter components for example
without having to worry about getting DRC errors or decide where
exactly the filter should go.

--
Daniel Nilsson