Re: gEDA-user: trace calculation

DJ Delorie wrote:

Why? Via doesn't have much more inductance than a piece of trace,
does it?

At high enough frequencies, traces are waveguides, not just conductors. Vias have nontrivial geometry relative to the signal.

That reminds me of another optimization I'd like to implement in the
future.  Instead of corners, treat all traces like elastic bands, so
that they end up as sweeping curves (lines+arcs) with no corners at
all (except for 3-trace nodes).  I want this myself just because it
makes the board look pretty, but I wonder if gentle curves provide
better waveguide performance than corners?

Indeed, vias can have a serious detrimental effect. The most simple case is to model the via as an inductor. If you account for the capacitance of the outside layer pads you now have a more complex problem. Then you can account for the pad-to-plane capacitance as the vias pass through inner layers...and so on. A simple (shunt C) - (series L) - (shunt C) model does quite well up to a few GHz.

Going around a corner with a tapered or narrowed trace is significantly better than a simple square corner. A swept curve (especially when the radius is more than a few line widths) is even better, and gives pretty good results although you still get a *slight* reduction in impedance due to the excess capacitance in the curve.

I wouldn't worry about dealing with all direction changes as sweeping/curved bends:
-You would need to have some way for the program to in advance how much angle (arc) you wanted to cover.
-You can probably pack more traces in when routing manually only at a n*45 degree angle.
-Autorouting and DRC calculations would probably get more messy.

Joe T.