Re: gEDA-user: Silk on vias

On 11 Jan 2007 09:21:51 +0100, David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@xxxxxx> wrote:

> David Kuehling wrote:

>> reading through the manufacturer's design rules, I cannot find any
>> comments on how much distance silk text should keep from vias.  Just
>> wondering, whether there problems one should be aware of (like silk
>> detaching and geting to places it doesn't belong?)  Or can vias just
>> be overprinted?
>>
> If the vias are tented (covered with solder resist) you can print over
> them, although the ink will run on occasion and decrease the
> legibility of the text.  (Vias are tented by default with pcb.)  If
> you are printing small text (< "100%") I would stay clear of vias if
> you want all the silk to be readable.

I set all the text to 70% due to size constraints.  Well, keeping vias
away from text will be quite annoying since text is almost everywhere :)
Do I only have to keep the text away from the drill hole only (plus an
additional 0.1mm added by the manufacturer) or from the copper annulus
as well?

Unless you are going to solder something into the via, placement of the text on a via is only going to affect the readability. Vias can be handy when correcting mistakes. Check out http://www.pcbexpress.com/technical/tutorial.php

If you make the silkscreen text too small your text characters may change to
dots.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org