Re: gEDA-user: KJWaves - new release (a r)

On Jan 9, 2008 5:49 PM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - responsive UI (retained-mode canvas etc),
>
> Did seem a little odd to me. We have a canvas (ok, we don't call it
> that, but it is).

OK, I have assumed that gschem is rendering everything in a "paint"
event because of perceived slow redraw.

> And by definition, the rendering model of a canvas is
> retained. You put objects on it, they stay. (As opposed to a painting
> API where we draw things continuously, and have to repaint when windows
> cover regions and then become exposed again.

Well, yes. If there is a scene there is a canvas. There is still
plenty of possible opimisations that can be applied to it, though.
Spatial index with grouping (and caching), layers and "distance"
metric for filtering out small objects, to name a few. Sure, nobody is
going to put millions of transistors on a single schematic page but
gschem should be able to efficiently draw schematics with several
hundreds of instances on a single page (eg. extracted netlists).

-r.