Re: gEDA-user: Symbols: mixed slotted elements and dedicated pins?

On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 22:30 -0800, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> Thomas Reinemann wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 17:23:18 schrieb Dave N6NZ:
> >> My approach for something with slots, common control, and power would be
> >> to make 3 symbols.  One for signal flow (slotted), one for control, one
> >> for power/ground.
> >
> > Symbols belonging to the same device get same refdes, how do you handle the
> > footprint?
>
> Ummm... I think I just assign the footprint to one symbol, and the
> netlister is smart.  I think I've also copy/pasted the same footprint
> everywhere using gattrib.  Anyway... I don't think about it much because
> it seems to work :)

As I recall, the netlister will find one of the elements and deem it to
be that object. The netlist backend queries attributes by refdes name,
and those names are used to lookup in a hashtable mapping name ->
OBJECT. This leads me to strongly suspect that you should copy all
attributes which the netlister might care about into all slots.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,