Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf stable version 1.4.0-20080127 released!

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 14:19 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:26 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:
> >>    While I've not read the release notes yet...I noticed some new
> >> dependencies that I'm pretty sure didn't exist in 1.2.0, GNU
> gettext
> >> in particular.  GNU gettext is a real pain for anyone who doesn't
> run
> >> Linux (which I don't) on a PC (which I don't).  In particular, it
> >> doesn't even build under Solaris, and hasn't for the past several
> >> releases.  I also have zero interest in building a multi-lingual
> >> gschem.  Is there some way to disable the use of gettext so I can
> run
> >> the new release?
> >
> > --disable-nls should do it for the code.
>
>    Nope...I added it to "opts" in the top-level Makefile and I still
> get:

> checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... (cached) no
> checking whether to use NLS... no
> checking for intltool >= 0.35.0... 0.37.0 found
> checking for xgettext... (cached) :
> checking for msgmerge... (cached) :
> checking for msgfmt... (cached) :
> configure: error: GNU gettext tools not found; required for intltool
> make: *** [libgeda-1.4.0/config.h] Error 1

intltool appears to rely on some of the binary tools from GNU gettext.
If you can't install those, try disabling intltool forcibly in
configure.ac.in, comment out line:

IT_PROG_INTLTOOL(0.35.0)

You'll also need to disable the I18N of the desktop integration files.
If you don't want mime icons, menu icons etc.. (works with non-ancient
Gnome, and KDE 3+), disable the "data" directory by removing it from the
list of SUBDIRS in the gschem Makefile.am

If you _WANT_ the desktop integration, cd into "data", and rename the
".in" files to remove the ".in" suffix. You'll need to edit them, and
remove the "_" prefix from translatable elements.

In the data dir's Makefile.am, remove the line(s):

@INTLTOOL_???????????_RULE@

And change the install file listing commands, such as:

desktop_in_files = geda-gschem.desktop.in
desktop_DATA = $(desktop_in_files:.desktop.in=.desktop)

To:
desktop_DATA = geda-gschem.desktop

libgeda also has xml_in_files and application_in_files, as well as
"desktop_in_files"

After these changes, run autogen.sh.
They will need to be done for gschem, gattrib and libgeda.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,