Re: gEDA-user: Solaris build problems, 'elp?

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 19:16 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:

> In case anyone's interested, remaining pango issues:
>
> Metric hinting.. or not. On means we have to recompute text bounds at
> every zoom level change, but output is legible. Output varies in exact
> position w.r.t other objects on page with zoom level changes.
>
> Glyph outline hintning.. various levels of. Turn it off, you have
> blurry
> font outlines. Turn it on without metric hinting, and you get bad
> kerning of characters, which also makes things harder to read.
>
> Stroke thinning at low zoom levels.. Sometimes the pango rendered
> output
> is more legible than the cairo rendering of gschem't font.. other
> times
> not. The pango glyphs start to fade very quickly, once you reach a
> particular zoom level. I can't really see how to avoid it though.
> Pango
> (or cairo - not sure which) keeps reducing the stroke width below 1px
> size, even with full glyph hinting switched on.
>
> Should we tie the magic scale factor (about 1.3) to the same scale
> factor used for postscript printing? It is probably going to be the
> same
> number.
>
> How can we keep printing support in step with the stuff pango can
> render
> for us? (That might require a major shake up; using cairo for
> printing).

More issues:

Probably not using the right point for vertical text alignment. That
code's a mess, and needs yet more attention. (Its been the main grief of
all the text rendering updates - at least it looks right visually now.)

Probably invalidating the wrong bounds on screen - related to above, and
to positioning of over-bars.

Overbar rendering leaves ~1px gaps between overbars rendered as
separate, but adjacent runs of text. (E.g. if you have a tab under the
overbar). Might just need to +1 to right-most rendered X coordinate of
the bar.

It's almost certainly broken in various subtle / non-sublte ways for
right-to-left, and vertical text layouts, but I'll leave those for
another release!

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,