Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> John Doty wrote:

>>> Another sweeping statement from a narrow point of view, I think. A
>>> counter-example is in order:
>>>
>>> http://research.kek.jp/people/ikeda/openIP/
>>>
>>> If you can't read Japanese, just look at the diagrams and SPICE
>>> subcircuits. Should be clear enough.
>>>
>> Yes, no surprise there -> schematics:
>>
>> http://research.kek.jp/people/ikeda/openIP/openIP_16.pdf
>
> Of course. For building blocks at this level, that's entirely
> appropriate. It's when you build complex multichannel systems from
> these blocks that schematics become incomprehensible.

That's when we move over to block diagrams. Not just for chip designs,
also for large board level designs.

>>> The key strength of gEDA here is that you can do this any way you
>>> need to for your specific project.
>>>
>> Well, as we have seen with slotted parts, not any way it's needed.
>
> I think you're confusing wants and needs. It can do slotting just
> fine, but it can't read your mind.

They will be messed up upon renumbering. But who knows, someday it might
get fixed.

>> But
>> it can get there, which is why I mentioned the problem.
>
> If you wanted to, you could no doubt solve it with a little scripting
> (I'm still not sure exactly what you want: I can't read your mind
> either). But you'd have to cross a line you've drawn. gEDA is for
> those who enjoy crossing such lines, I think.

Didn't draw a line, but I am not a programmer. Sure, I could figure it
out and somehow attempt to fix it but there are people in this community
who could do that a lot better. Anyhow, I've mentioned further above in
this thread what the problem is (renumbering messes up refdeses when
only slot A has power visible). For me the solution right now is to just
stick with my old CAD. Or maybe even resurrect ye olde OrCad. Somehow I
often miss that old SDT, probably just like I'd wish I could have my
first car back just one more time :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/