Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Doty wrote:

>>> Sounds miserably complex and inflexible. While with gEDA, you break
>>> the physical device up however you choose, into as many symbols as
>>> you want, and there's nothing magical about power pins.
>>>
>> It isn't complex and inflexible. It's how scores of engineers work ;-)
>
> But others of us *don't* work that way. It doesn't scale well to
> complex heterogeneous modules.

>>> The pinlists for power and connectors show up in the documentation. I
>>> think that's *easier* to understand than graphics.
>>>
>> Sorry, but I must disagree here. The schematic is generally the only
>> document accepted to understand a circuit.
>
> In your world, maybe. In mine, schematics are only a modest part of
> the documentation.

Then we are working in different worlds. But at least we both worked
with CCD imagers :-)

>> In design reviews,
>
> The schematics are only part of the story. In a NASA design review,
> the majority of the reviewers won't even look at them.

Last one I saw was mostly schematics and mechanical CAD.

>> for the
>> TUEV inspector, and so on. They do not want to have to thumb through
>> reams of paper to find which net something invisible is connected to.
>
> A schematic of a 2000 pin backplane is pretty useless, while the same
> data in a human-friendly tabular form makes it really easy to find
> where to put the scope probe.

Sure, but I don't think that's what gEDA was meant to do. That's what
Excel or OpenOffice is for. The backplanes in our ultrasound systems are
usually north of 4000 pins and I have never seen a case where there was
not a schematic for that.

>>> Yes, and I do it all the time. But I use the toolkit's flexibility
>>> rather than fighting against it.
>>>
>> Ok, I don't want to diss the "Linux way" of doing things here, just
>> want
>> let you guys know how most circuit design engineers out there work.
>
> Most? You mean *you*. The landscape here is vast, and we both work on
> small, specialized subsets of of the big picture.

Not really small. I work in medical, aeronautics, automotive, oil/gas,
alternative energies etc. Kind of comes with being self-employed.

>> Can't say much about digital ASIC/FPGA designing
>
> But those are relevant. My biggest use of gEDA is mixed-signal ASIC
> design.

Ok, if gEDA is geared towards ASIC/FPGA that's different. Then it sure
won't be my kind of tool, just like BAE isn't (had tried it out lately).

>> but I've got over 20
>> years of analog and fast digital under the belt.
>
> 40 years here.

Wow. With CAD? My first CAD exposure was Racal-Redac on a VAX but being
young I could only get after-midnight time slots so I resorted to vellum
and ink pens.

>> Most of that as a
>> consultant so I get to see how it's done at clients.
>
> Your clients are not my clients.
>
>> They all work the
>> same way I do, in the graphical domain all the way up to the end when
>> the netlist for the layouter is generated.
>
> That approach doesn't scale efficiently to big projects. Graphics are
> superb for expressing circuit topology at moderate scales. But nobody
> will ever comprehend how a Pentium works from schematics.

True. That would be ASIC type work.

> The Veriog-AMS fans think they can eliminate schematics completely,
> design analog in code, and have the computer synthesize the netlist
> from that. That's also a nutty position, but they have a good reason:
> code scales better than graphics. So, if you want to do really big
> mixed-signal systems efficiently, you're going to need to do the
> higher levels with code. The nuttiness comes from thinking one kind
> of tool should work on all scales.
>
> So, a correlated double sampler circuit is best expressed as a
> schematic, but the higher levels of a system containing 96 such
> circuits along with a bunch of other stuff is not. At some point,
> your eyes can't take it all in, so you might as well start making lists.

That's where the hierarchy comes in, and AFAICT gEDA handles a hierarchy
nicely. You don't see all those 96 identical circuits, just one plus the
fact that there are 96 of them. I've done a lot of those (in
schematics), the biggest one 128.

>> After that it's mostly off to
>> the next project.
>>
>> This may also be the reason why the EDA world is so OrCad-centric.
>
> I don't think anyone I work with uses OrCAD. The landscape here is
> much wider than you know.

Interesting. I found OrCad to be almost as popular in CAD as MS-Office
is in the biz world. Not that I particularly like that fact, just an
observation.

[...]

>> AFAICT you can't fix the schematic with a script. Even if you could it
>> would make the design phase cumbersome because you've got to see power
>> connections while working in the schametic.
>
> When you're trying to understand the signal flow, the power
> connections are a distraction. I see no "got to" here. But if that's
> the way you want to work, gEDA supports it. But it supports many
> other ways, so it won't force *my* way of working on *you* or vice-
> versa.

Right now it doesn't seem to. And power is not a distraction in many
circuits. For example, there are many where power is sequenced in a very
prescribed fashion. If someone doesn't see or understand it you can have
a loud bang and molten solder splattering about.

>>> In other words, you can't leverage the power of all of the tools that
>>> are *outside* Eagle. But you can script gEDA internally, too, in
>>> Scheme.
>>>
>> Ok, maybe there is a method to fix the power pin problem in there
>> but I
>> have to become familiar with it first. Not very easy for an analog
>> circuit guy :-)
>
> If you buy a car, it makes sense to learn to drive.
>
> It seems you want gEDA to cater to your unwillingness to master new
> skills, learn better ways to do things. But gEDA's power is that it
> frees you to use the better way, not constraining you to inefficient
> ways of doing things.

Again, I don't want it to cater to me. I might never use gschem, just
wanted to give feedback.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/