Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> John Doty wrote:

>>> It means you're just supposed to netlist it, not look at it.

>>> Where did you expect to see the power pins? You don't want them on
>>> the main symbol, but you also don't want them on a separate symbol.
>>> This approach puts them in a text file, and gives you a way to merge
>>> such files into the net list.
>>>
>>> You've told us what you don't want. That doesn't tell us what you
>>> want.
>>>
>> Ok, here's what I (and lots of other) would like:
>>
>> Take a device with multiple parts in there such as the 74HC14 and
>> handle
>> it like Eagle and Orcad do: None of them has power symbols. Then if
>> you
>> must connect it to some special power net you can "invoke" the power
>> symbols along with correct pin numbers on only the first instantation.
>> So U1A then has power symbols but U1B, U1C and so forth don't. The
>> power
>> pins absolutely must show up in the schematic where you want them and
>> not show up at the instantation where you don't want them.
>
> Sounds miserably complex and inflexible. While with gEDA, you break
> the physical device up however you choose, into as many symbols as
> you want, and there's nothing magical about power pins.

It isn't complex and inflexible. It's how scores of engineers work ;-)

>> If they only
>> show up in the netlist that doesn't work because the schematic will be
>> hard to understand.
>
> The pinlists for power and connectors show up in the documentation. I
> think that's *easier* to understand than graphics.

Sorry, but I must disagree here. The schematic is generally the only
document accepted to understand a circuit. In design reviews, for the
TUEV inspector, and so on. They do not want to have to thumb through
reams of paper to find which net something invisible is connected to.

>>> Why?
>>>
>> Because IMHO it's basic schematic capture functionality, used all the
>> time.
>
> Yes, and I do it all the time. But I use the toolkit's flexibility
> rather than fighting against it.

Ok, I don't want to diss the "Linux way" of doing things here, just want
let you guys know how most circuit design engineers out there work.
Can't say much about digital ASIC/FPGA designing but I've got over 20
years of analog and fast digital under the belt. Most of that as a
consultant so I get to see how it's done at clients. They all work the
same way I do, in the graphical domain all the way up to the end when
the netlist for the layouter is generated. After that it's mostly off to
the next project.

This may also be the reason why the EDA world is so OrCad-centric.
Similar reasons why some fine open source programs such as OpenOffice do
not make it into mainstream. Saying VBA is "for sissies" and thus
unimportant defies reality. Yesterday we had a family over for dinner
and the husband runs a major engineering firm. He hates Office 2007 but
when I suggested OO he said it can't be done because none of the VBA
stuff would run anymore.

>> It's not something that is rarely used and where a patch file may
>> work.

>>> Monolithic programs are inflexible. gEDA's strength is radical
>>> flexibility.
>>>
>> Well, true, but having to remember which patch files must be run to
>> massage a certain schematic and which don't is a serious source of
>> error
>> for the user.
>
> My memory is a makefile ;-). These are no more "patches" than the C
> compiler is. The "source" to a design should be the cleanest
> representation: sometimes that's graphical, sometimes that's text.
> gEDA's modularity and flexibility make it easy to script the whole
> process of assembling the design documents from a variety of sources.

AFAICT you can't fix the schematic with a script. Even if you could it
would make the design phase cumbersome because you've got to see power
connections while working in the schametic.

>> Radical flexibility can be achieved differently. For
>> example, Eagle has tons of scripts that can be run from within the
>> application, you never need to leave it to call up the command line.
>
> In other words, you can't leverage the power of all of the tools that
> are *outside* Eagle. But you can script gEDA internally, too, in Scheme.

Ok, maybe there is a method to fix the power pin problem in there but I
have to become familiar with it first. Not very easy for an analog
circuit guy :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/