Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

Hi Joerg --

It's fun to see that you're back on the geda e-mail lists!  Welcome
back!  We thought you had defected to Kicad.   :-(

> Ok, I don't want to diss the "Linux way" of doing things here, just want
> let you guys know how most circuit design engineers out there work.

*snip!*

I think that the perspective you bring -- with your long experience --
is invaluable.  Therefore, please don't be dissuaded from explaining
on geda-user how you think an EDA tool should work, since it's quite
educational.  Your e-mails always generate a lot of traffic on the
lists; please don't be put off by the amount of debate you produce
since it's all healthy.

I don't know if you have been following the gEDA Project's recent
history, but we have some interesting developments underway.

First, gEDA has partnered with the Linux Fund to push developemnt of
PCB further along.  People and organizations can donate money to the
Linux Fund which will be used to pay our resident PCB guru DJ Delorie
to add significant improvements to PCB, making it easier to use for
novice and advanced layout engineers.  He'll also add important
features for professional level use.

Before this work can happen, enough donations must accumulate at the
Linux Fund that work can begin on the project.  If you really are
interested in helping gEDA along (and also adding to your own
credibility amongst the developers), you might consider donating some
money to the Linux Fund's PCB project:

http://www.linuxfund.org/projects/pcb/

Paying developers to write code is a time-honored way of making features
get added to any software project.  Don't hesitate to use it!   ;-)

Second, gEDA will participate in the Google Summer of Code project
again in 2009.  In this project, Google will pay university students
to work on one or another of the gEDA tools, usually implementing new
features.  If you know of any smart university students (maybe you
have kids?) who would like to get paid to hack gEDA over the summer,
feel free to point them in our direction.   We are currently beginning
the search for quality participants.

Maybe you know somebody who could implement your desired feature over
the summer?  Wouldn't that be a win-win if they got involved with the
gEDA Project?

Cheers,

Stuart