Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hi Joerg --
>
> It's fun to see that you're back on the geda e-mail lists!  Welcome
> back!  We thought you had defected to Kicad.   :-(

To be honest I don't think I'll switch to gEDA. The refdes and slot
mix-ups are certainly surmountable but I found over the last couple
months that Linux is not my cup of tea. I did leave it all on the PC
though, going back to it on occasion and I think the idea behind all
this is great.

>> Ok, I don't want to diss the "Linux way" of doing things here, just want
>> let you guys know how most circuit design engineers out there work.
>
> *snip!*
>
> I think that the perspective you bring -- with your long experience --
> is invaluable.  Therefore, please don't be dissuaded from explaining
> on geda-user how you think an EDA tool should work, since it's quite
> educational.  Your e-mails always generate a lot of traffic on the
> lists; please don't be put off by the amount of debate you produce
> since it's all healthy.

Thanks, Stuart, that's all I really wanted to do, bringing some feedback
based on what I see in industry. As a consultant I get around a lot,
seeing all kinds of CAD systems and habits of people. Some of this is
very different from what many in this group (and also in the EDA
industry) think. For example, only three of my clients do their own
layouts, all the others and myself farm that out. So to design engineers
(in industry/consulting) the layout tool isn't too important, schematic
capture is what they use all the time. And they abhor dual-boot systems.

> I don't know if you have been following the gEDA Project's recent
> history, but we have some interesting developments underway.
>
> First, gEDA has partnered with the Linux Fund to push developemnt of
> PCB further along.  People and organizations can donate money to the
> Linux Fund which will be used to pay our resident PCB guru DJ Delorie
> to add significant improvements to PCB, making it easier to use for
> novice and advanced layout engineers.  He'll also add important
> features for professional level use.
>
> Before this work can happen, enough donations must accumulate at the
> Linux Fund that work can begin on the project.  If you really are
> interested in helping gEDA along (and also adding to your own
> credibility amongst the developers), you might consider donating some
> money to the Linux Fund's PCB project:
>
> http://www.linuxfund.org/projects/pcb/
>
> Paying developers to write code is a time-honored way of making features
> get added to any software project.  Don't hesitate to use it!   ;-)

Yes, I've read that. It is the other reason why I think feedback "from
the trenches" is important. The really big donation pots are with
organizations. But their engineers will waive off when they get stuck
early on in a "kicking the tires" pilot design, for example because the
multi-slot stuff doesn't work well. They'll also want at least a chance
to give all this a "windowsy" feel. Meaning no "you do not have
permission to write to this file" and such. I know this will go against
the grain of many but I can only tell you guys how it is.

Since this is earmarked for PCB maybe you could suggest some kind of
tithing scheme. IOW where layouters or engineers who use PCB for revenue
and feeding their family donate a percent or so of their fees/income.
Like our church you will probably not just have to meet these set budget
items but need donations on an ongoing basis. Not just for coding but at
some point the world needs to know and that only works through ads or
bought articles. Case in point: In December I suggested gEDA to an
engineer who uses Kubuntu at home. He did not know gschema existed ...

> Second, gEDA will participate in the Google Summer of Code project
> again in 2009.  In this project, Google will pay university students
> to work on one or another of the gEDA tools, usually implementing new
> features.  If you know of any smart university students (maybe you
> have kids?) who would like to get paid to hack gEDA over the summer,
> feel free to point them in our direction.   We are currently beginning
> the search for quality participants.
>
> Maybe you know somebody who could implement your desired feature over
> the summer?  Wouldn't that be a win-win if they got involved with the
> gEDA Project?

We don't have kids, wanted to but couldn't :-(

But I'll look around if there are smart student who have a knack for
programming. Only problem is that we live in a fairly rural area so
there aren't too many. Then again, Intel is only 10 miles from here.
Here is another suggestion: Can you guys post a typical project that
some kid has done? Or at least a "mock project" if it's a first? That
way people like me can tell kids "Hey, take a look at this link and see
if you'd be interested and capable to do something like that". Otherwise
kids easily become scared, thinking they'd need to be rocket scientists
to do such coding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/