gEDA-user: Helping the gEDA Project... was: Re: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

Hi --

>> Paying developers to write code is a time-honored way of making features
>> get added to any software project.  Don't hesitate to use it!   ;-)
>
> Yes, I've read that. It is the other reason why I think feedback "from
> the trenches" is important. The really big donation pots are with
> organizations.

True enough.  We are trying to reach out to organizations, but it's a
hard sell, as you might imagine.  Perhaps you know some people who
know some people who might be interested, if you know what I mean?

And -- hey! -- you're a businessman.  That's an orgnization, right?  A
good way to (literally) buy some goodwill with developers is to donate
to the Linux Fund's PCB project.

OK, I've done enough shilling for our Linux Fund project.  But I hope
you have gotten the message:  "Feedback from the trenches" is useful,
but you'll get real leverage for your favorite project by contributing
in more powerful ways (i.e. contribute code, business networking, or
financial support).

And yes, I read your point that EEs will be turned off by this or that
small buglet, and so won't be interested in contributing.  But if the
whole project was already finished, then who would need to contribute?
It's a chicken and egg problem.  The right approach is to get ahead of
the development and help lead it, rather than say "I can't contribute
until it's perfect".

>> Maybe you know somebody who could implement your desired feature over
>> the summer?  Wouldn't that be a win-win if they got involved with the
>> gEDA Project?
>
> We don't have kids, wanted to but couldn't :-(

Sorry to hear that.  :-(

> But I'll look around if there are smart student who have a knack for
> programming. Only problem is that we live in a fairly rural area so
> there aren't too many. Then again, Intel is only 10 miles from here.

Great idea!  It's quite likely that the smart engineers at Intel have
kids who are computer saavy, and would love to geek out on a project
like gEDA.  If you have contacts at Intel, please *do* point them to
us.  You'll be doing us a great help if you assist us in getting the
word out about gEDA and the Google Summer of Code.  And if you have
other contacts, please contact them too.  Think about ham radio clubs,
computer clubs, other technology companies, etc.  Your contact list is
invaluable for this.

> Here is another suggestion: Can you guys post a typical project that
> some kid has done? Or at least a "mock project" if it's a first? That
> way people like me can tell kids "Hey, take a look at this link and see
> if you'd be interested and capable to do something like that".

Yes, our project list for 2009 will be posted shortly.  The lists for
2007 and 2008 are here:

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/gsoc2007_projects
http://geda.seul.org/wiki/gsoc2008_projects

Cheers,