Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Sure, but I don't think that's what gEDA was meant to do.
>
> But geda *was* meant to be able to hook in other sources of data.
>
>> Ok, if gEDA is geared towards ASIC/FPGA that's different.
>
> It's not - *his* work is geared towards it, and he had a way to make
> geda work smoothly with his data needs.  Each geda user is going to
> have a preferred way of doing things, and geda needs to be amenable to
> all of those.  *Some* will be defaults, but others may need some
> custom geda setups to flow smoothly.
>
>> Wow. With CAD? My first CAD exposure was Racal-Redac on a VAX but being
>
> Oh crap, now we're reminiscing.  20 years ago I started with Data
> General's internal CAD system on D470C terminals.  A few years later
> we switched to Cadstar, and a long hiatus later, I'm using gEDA.

I started out with Futurenet Dash-2 in 1986, then Dash-4, then
self-employed with Orcad as my tool, later through several versions of
that and a few years ago switched to Eagle. That's what I am using right
now until I find something better. Eagle won't handle hierarchies, other
than that it is nearly ideal.

>> young I could only get after-midnight time slots so I resorted to vellum
>> and ink pens.
>
> mmm... pens, stickers, and FeCl from Radio Shack.  That was about 30
> years ago for me.  I still have some of the stickers, too.

I always keep a stash of large vellum pads. Clearprint 1000HP, the good
stuff from California.

>> Again, I don't want it to cater to me. I might never use gschem,
>> just wanted to give feedback.
>
> What about PCB, though?  That runs on Linux/Mac/Windows too.

In my case nearly all layouts are done by a layouter. The lone exception
would be a super-critical RF or switcher designs where I lay out the hot
stuff and send that to the layouter to tell him how I want that area
done. Currently he uses PADS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/