Re: gEDA-user: [RFC 3/6] Embedding system revamp

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 16:35 +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On Saturday 17 January 2009 15:56:03 Ales Hvezda wrote:
>
> > >[*] Note that we may also consider making gEDA files officially use CRLF
> > >    line-endings, for better compatibility with 'quoted-printable'
> > >    encoding & Windows users.
> >
> > 	Really _not_ sold on this one.	I think you will get significant
> > push back if you expect POSIX users to have ^M in their files by default.
> > gaf (anything really) should handle both including mixed gracefully.
>
> According to the Unicode spec, we *should* treat all of the following as "new
> lines":
>
> U+000A          Line feed
> U+000D          Carriage return
> U+000D U+000A   Carriage return, line feed
> U+0085          Next line
> U+000C          Form feed
> U+2028          Line separator
> U+2029          Paragraph separator
>
> ...but I don't think it's unreasonable to specify one line ending in
> particular for the nuts and bolts of the gEDA file format. :) Hence my
> amended spec.

Personally, I'd favour emitting \n, and tolerating \r\n. Any embedding
should use whatever the natural line-ending of the embedded file is,
assuming it isn't encoded.

On Win32 - we might consider emitting schematics / symbols with \r\n
line ends, so long as all the rest of the code handles reading them fine
(on Unix as well as win32).

The above would give win32 users the power of hand-editing schematic
files with any tools on the windows platform which expect \r\n line
ending.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,