Re: gEDA-user: GTK RANT

Am Mittwoch, den 28.01.2009, 01:25 +0200 schrieb Robas, Teodor:

>    Shure some people would want standard keyboard accelerators, but IMO
>    this
>    isn't working well even for standard applications. A simple example:
>    krusader (Ctrl+S) vs. eclipse (Ctrl+F or Ctrl+H). And EDA software is
>    anything but standard. A bad result of this standardization wold be

Yes.
One problem is, that people are used to do thinks in a special way, and
they want to do it in this way until they die.

If your used tool is a hammer, most task you have to do look like nails.

Often I heard:

"Oh, KDE looks very similar to Windows, so I may consider using it."

"This looks not like Windows, must be bad."

"I have to enter a command in as shell -- this is nothing for me."

If a great company is behind a new idea, like apple, then these people
are more open to new ideas.

Driving a motor cycle is different from driving a car...

My personal view:
gschem and pcb user interface both works not bad. There task is
different from web browsers or email programs, so there may a good
reason that usage is different.

But: A more consistent user interface for pcb and gschem would be nice,
i.e. moving of symbols and pcb-elements is a very similar task. If some
basic task would be identical in pcb and gschem, this gives a better
feeling for new users, and it is no disadvantage for power users. And
maybe the visual appearance of both GUIs should have some common parts,
so that it is clear for new users that both tools are good friends.

Best wishes

Stefan Salewski