gEDA-user: Text encodings [WAS: Re: Open GL survey (for PCB)]

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 15:21 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > I'm not sure if PCB supports UTF-8 text, but if not.. doing that would
> > make a good start.
>
> It doesn't.  It does support iso-latin-1 but the default font only has
> ASCII characters in it.  Someone would have to draw an eight-bit font.
>
> In theory, you could put in whatever eight-bit font you wanted, but
> that would just be confusing ;-)

Indeed.. The rest of the world moved on, to UTF-8 (or other Unicode schemes)

I don't want to see any 8 bit text-encoding support added to PCB,
_other_ than allowing it to support arbitrary UTF-8 encoded unicode text
strings.

Right now, we can cheat and pretend we never supported non 7-bit ASCII
characters. If we add any support for 8bit code-pages, we'll be stuck
having to support those, _and_ UTF-8 in the future.

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,
University of Cambridge,