Re: gEDA-user: Text encodings [WAS: Re: Open GL survey (for PCB)]

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 15:51 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> Our default font is 7-bit.
>
> I agree that UTF-8 will be the *only* expansion option we'll take when
> we get to that point - but pcb supports iso-latin-1 8-bit at the
> moment, aside from the missing font issue.

Its dangerous do document that we support iso-latin-1, lest anyone draws
themselves fonts, and then gets cross if we decree in future, that PCB
text is in UTF-8.

(You could well claim that now.. only we don't understand the >7bit
bytes in the encoding!)

> I think it would be cool to support freetype, but that would mean
> expanding the file sytax for text to include font information.

We could probably embed the glyphs in a similar way to what we do now,
but in terms of polygons rather than lines.

Granted, you might want to save some idea of what font is being used in
the PCB file, so it can be reproduced on multiple machines.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,