Re: gEDA-user: Text encodings [WAS: Re: Open GL survey (for PCB)]

> Right now, we can cheat and pretend we never supported non 7-bit
> ASCII characters. If we add any support for 8bit code-pages, we'll
> be stuck having to support those, _and_ UTF-8 in the future.

Right now we support *uncoded* 8-bit characters and a 256 (er, 255 due
to NUL-terminated strings) glyph map.  Not quite a "font" or
"encoding".

Our default font is 7-bit.

I agree that UTF-8 will be the *only* expansion option we'll take when
we get to that point - but pcb supports iso-latin-1 8-bit at the
moment, aside from the missing font issue.

I think it would be cool to support freetype, but that would mean
expanding the file sytax for text to include font information.