Re: gEDA-user: Guerilla marketing...

On Jan 30, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Steve Meier wrote:

> What I have been talking about is interoperability.

Me too, but we differ on what kind of interoperability is important.

> How users can share projects even though they use different tools.

I work with customers who either do their own layouts or have favored
layout contractors. The variety of gnetlist back ends, and the ease
of creating new ones, is a unique feature of gEDA that makes this
business model possible.

> GEDAs lack of exporting and importing limits the projects that a
> consultant can use it for.

It depends on what you need. For what *I* need here, gEDA is the best
tool around. You may have different needs, but that doesn't justify
your claim that gEDA lacks exporting facilities. If you were to say
"My work requires the specific capability to import X and export Y" I
could easily agree with you (and maybe somebody would chime in with a
solution), but I cannot agree that this is a *general* weakness of
gEDA. Specifically, exporting netlists to just about any other tool
is a radical strength.

> PCB's lack of exporting the pads ASCII makes
> it more difficult for assembly shops to programmer their flying probe
> tester. (translating PCB to and from pads ascii is one of my side
> pprojects)

That's a *specific* problem, of narrow interest (although I'm sure a
solution would be welcomed). It does not indicate a general weakness.
And the beauty of a radically flexible FOSS tool is that you can fix it.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx