Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 14:45 +0100, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> Consider that some inductances that I use are not symmetric. While
> I don't know of any asymmetric resistors (but maybe they exist),
> some microwave broadband inductors are asymmetric (you can't swap
> pins 1 and 2, as for polarized capacitors):
>
> http://www.piconics.com/Conicals.html

I've never seen that kind of thing before (although I don't work in RF).

For switching power supplies etc.. the physical positioning of coils can
(sometimes) matter. Assume that given a applied current, the inductor
produces a magnetic field pattern which isn't symmetric about the axis
you can swap the component around. This could affect interference in the
circuitry if you swapped the component around.

Which terminal of the coil is wound innermost could affect EMC /
electrostatic coupling. (Probably a more important effect than the
previous one?)

Best regards,

Peter C.