Re: gEDA-user: Parts Manager Working Document

Hi all,

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 08:26 -0800, Edward Hennessy wrote:
On Jan 19, 2010, at 3:41 AM, Florian Teply wrote:
Anything else to add??
A few suggestions for additional parameters:

- Count (for resistor arrays)
- Pb-free (for RoHS and WEEE)

                  ^________^___ These relate to more than just Pb
Additionally, some items are exempt, (IIRC), and are allowed to contain Pb,
                                but still meet the spec.

- Operating temperature range

ESD sensitivity? (Yes / No, or some scale of handling susceptibility?)

Light sensitivity (I can imagine some parts degrading under lighting -
e.g. UV erasable EPROMS, ....)

I think it is important that any fields which obviously don't apply,
should not be present in the parts database - rather than get filled
with meaningless numbers.

For example - would anyone bother entering the operating temperature
range for a metal connector? (No plastic to melt).

--

Sorry for not joining in earlier :)

I have been pondering over field names to be used in the parts database and various changing search criteria as the parts categories varies.

It appeared to me that for any given part there maybe a dozen or two search criteria to narrow a search down to a handful of suitable parts.

So why not give field names like: "key1", "value1", "unit1", ... , "key24", "value24", "unit24".

In the "key" fields we could store the criteria, in the "value" fields the values and maybe we would split the value for separate "units".

This way we have a uniform table for all part categories and keep things flexible.

When looking for a specific part the app then needs to walk through the parts table looking for valid "key" and "value" field contents which meet the specified search criteria and present these parts to the user.

The "key" field contents need to be enumerated though and we may need to check which values are valid for a certain part category.

Just my EUR 0.02

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.