Re: gEDA-user: Silver Epoxy: was Parts Manager Working Document

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 05:42:26PM -0500, Mark Stanley wrote:
> On Monday 18 January 2010 22:16:00 Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:00:35PM -0500, Mark Stanley wrote:
> > > I'll get you the information tomorrow when I get back to work.  For long
> > > term storage we keep it packed with dry ice (CO2) in the freezer and
> > > store the in- service tube in the refrigerator.  We've had in-service
> > > tubes last up to six months.
> >
> > That's a single component, right? They typically need -20 or -40ÂC for
> > conservation from what I've seen.
>
> Yes.  I'm using H20E in a single syringe.  It's  packed in a small cooler and
> surrounded with dry ice then covered over with balled-up newspaper and then the
> lid is taped shut.  It has already lasted several years in the freezer.

Ok, so it's H20E (as I said it looks like the industry's workhorse). Just had
an offer from another distributer in Spain, and it's â380 for an ounce (non
premixed).

In theory, non premixed should last longer, although room temperature
conservation is recommended. I can't understand why it would not conserve
better at a lower temperature: there is a potential crystallisation problem
but it can be solved by heating the individual components to 50ÂC for a few
hours before mixing.

The problem is that room temperature can be very high in summer in
the south of Spain and the air conditioning may be cut-off, especially
during the week-end. Apparently, the worst scenario is repeated temperature
cycles, and I'd rather avoid it.

Well, I think I'm going to buy some H20E and see how it works out. It can't
be worse than CW2400...

> You mentioned only having a small fridge but you should be able to set the
> controls so that it will actually freeze.

The solder paste and other products I have in the fridge needs 0-5ÂC for
best conservation. The lab is already really full and I don't want to
mix chemicals and food in the same freezer.

	Gabriel