Re: gEDA-user: Bug triage

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 19:18 +0100, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Gareth Edwards wrote:
>
> > Bug reporting could
> > be and should be from anyone. Bug triage will be a smaller set of
> > people.
>
> For full triage you have to be a member of the bug team (geda-bugs, or
> pcb-bugs). Else, you get no edit buttons next to the importance button.
> I'd expect, that this is configurable and the status can also be made
> inaccessible to simple users (Peter C., is this so?)

No, you need to be a bug contact or owner of the project, and that is
not configurable.

If we wanted access more open, we _could_ make the bug team open without
any confirmation by an administrator, but I'm not inclined to do that.

> However, geda/pcb as a project is not exactly overrun by potential
> contributers and bug reporters. There is no need to add more barriers.
> To the contrary, users need to be encouraged to participate. Triage is
> itself is not very release critical. Worst case that might happen is a
> severe bug that gets rated below par. But if it is really severe, it
> will surface again.

Actually, and perhaps perversely, I think adding the barrier to team
membership may be a psychological encouragement to participate actively.

In order to join the team, the person joining has been acknowledged and
given an implicit degree of approval from the administrators of the
project. When I have been in this position for other projects. (E.g
membership of the Ubuntu-X swat team), it gave me both a positive
feeling, and also reassured me that it was ok to make those changes
membership unlocked.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,