Re: gEDA-user: FYI [Fwd: [Balloon] Balloon 4]

On Sunday 16 January 2011, John Griessen wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 10:36 PM, al davis wrote:
> > Unless I massively missed something, verilog is completely
> > procedural.
>
> Really verilog is all in parallel, not procedural code,
> unless you want to put some in with special features that
> are trickier to use than everyday verilog.
>
> The basic statement of verilog is assign, which defines wires
> and connectivity of busses of wires and renamings and logical
> combinations of wire values...  Much like a graphical
> schematic.
>
> Modules also map names in verilog, allowing reuse of subcells
> with different names for wires inside them.

You are thinking of the original Verilog, as it was in its first
draft from Cadence over 20 years ago.

Today, Verilog means a family of languages with common syntax
that do just about everything in electronics.  There is System
Verilog, Verilog-A, Verilog-AMS, ....   The insiders refer to
the old digital verilog alone as "Verilog-D".

If simulation means Spice to you, you are 20 years behind.
If Verilog means only digital to you, you are 20 years behind.
Are we proud of being 20 years behind?