Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

On Jul 26, 2005, at 2:56 PM, Xtian Xultz wrote:
One think that GTK will allow easy implementation of is OpenGL alpha
transparency in
the drawing. For those without accelerated graphics you'll hate it,
but it
will be a great
improvement for those with fast hardware.

The future is now, and an opengl card is cheap (even in my country).

For PCs, anyway. Please keep in mind that some of us don't use PCs.

Sorry Dave, I forgot about that. PCs and Macs have 3d accelerated graphics,
what kind of machine do you use?

I use a Mac for "regular" tasks and a couple of Sun UltraSPARC systems for CAD work, including PCB. My graphics hardware was selected for high resolution and fast 2D operations, not 3D, because printed circuit board layout is a 2D task.

GTK itself puts more graphics processing load on the system than does the core functionality of PCB. That strikes me as quite odd. Nothing about PCB is 3D.

But what doesnt get out of my mind, is thinking that if you want to use a
software that is graphically intensive, is not a good idea to use a machine
that isnt.

Of course you're correct...but there's a big difference between 2D operations and 3D operations, and good 2D performance and good 3D performance seem (inexplicably) to be mutually exclusive.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "I wonder what 'Error Code 1' means. That's
Cape Coral, FL what it said when it started smoking." -Jonathan Patschke