Re: gEDA-user: Bug in cvs pcb concerning polygons

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 10:43:49AM +0200, lynx.abraxas@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It  seems though the parts of the polygon that would be remove normaly but now
> wouldn't need to be removed any more because of  lines  connecting  the  inner
> part  to  ground  again  have  to  be  redawn  with  a  new rectangle. Is that
> unavoidable?

If your "plane" sections are only connected by a trace then I think you
may want to reconsider your layout, however, you're right about PCB's
behavior being odd.

What it does is cut all the holes for all the wires, pads and pins and
the result is a collection of outlines of filled areas, each with inner
holes.  It saves all this information, but only the largest area is
drawn as part of the board.  It doesn't consider any other electrical or
connection information.  If you want to see something funny, draw a poly
and then slice it with a clearing line, and then start dropping components
onto whichever side remains.  Eventually you'll make it smaller and the
poly will "flip".

> I still notice pcb is sometimes very slow when I use copy or cut to buffer  of
> the  whole  board. When it is in the buffer and the redoutline is drawn moving
> happens in steps taking a second or so. But this is not always the case.

You could download my autocrop() plugin from gedasymbols.org.  It would
also solve your "outside the board" request.  Just make the board huge and
autocrop() when you're done.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>