Re: gEDA-user: ideeas for gschem and pcb

Hi Teodor,

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 14:53 +0300, Robas, Teodor wrote:

> Bert Timmerman wrote:
> > Hi Kai-Martin, Teodor and all,

> > > Yes. This is one of my favorite feature requests too. Just like you I saw
> > > the value of this kind of lists while using protel.

> > > Where would you put that?
> > >

> > <deleted original message from here>
> >
> > FWIW, I can imagine having a use for a preview when selecting a
> > footprint in the attribute editor if the footprint= attribute is
> > selected with a file chooser widget.
> >
> > So basically, when the above situation is at hand (the selection process
> > of a footprint with the attribute editor), one could be bothered with a
> > file chooser dialog to select the footprint file name (when and if a
> > newlib footprint file) not for the sake of loading the footprint file,
> > just for the sake of selecting a valid and existing *.fp filename (and
> > maybe its path since newlib files can be stored anywhere in the file
> > system nowadays, the file chooser dialog gives the path as a bonus if
> > you bother to ask for it).
> >
> > Just another EUR 0.02
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Bert Timmerman.

> Actually, what I had in mind with the 'footprint preview in gschem',
> was to extend the "Edit Atributes" dialog to the left/right or
> bottom.
> In that space can be placed a drop down list box and a canvas
> (the name of that preview surface ??) for preview.
>
> When a footprint is selected from that list, the respective footprint
> is
> shown, and the footprint attribute value is filled automaticaly (if it
> is emty,
> because I do not want to delete what I wrote in the atribute box)
>
> Poping up yet another dialog can be annoying when is not needed.
>
> I do not have a solution for how to preview a footprint filled in the
> attribute box that is not in that dropdown list. Maybe a button ?

I have once tried to implement a description label in the gschem symbol
chooser dialog, very obfuscated code to me and turned out that I dropped
the ball on that one, but YMMV if you paid any attention in a CS
class ;-)

The gtk file chooser dialog comes with standard functionality for
choosing a file, with or without a preview (at your option).

Excerpt from the GtkFileChooser documentation:

<quote>
gtk_file_chooser_set_preview_widget ()

Sets an application-supplied widget to use to display a custom preview
of the currently selected file. To implement a preview, after setting
the preview widget, you connect to the ::update-preview signal, and call
gtk_file_chooser_get_preview_filename() or
gtk_file_chooser_get_preview_uri() on each change. If you can display a
preview of the new file, update your widget and set the preview active
using gtk_file_chooser_set_preview_widget_active(). Otherwise, set the
preview inactive.

When there is no application-supplied preview widget, or the
application-supplied preview widget is not active, the file chooser may
display an internally generated preview of the current file or it may
display no preview at all.
</quote>

Why re-invent the wheel if there happens to be a pre-cooked widget
waiting to be implemented ?

Just three dozens of lines of code will do, if all goes well.

The usual disclaimer for pitfalls applies here ;-)

Just my EUR 0.02

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.