Re: gEDA-user: merge multi symbol components

On Jul 22, 2009, at 1:38 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> I'm all in favor of this. But the right way to do that with a
>> toolkit is usually to wrap the tools with high level scripts.
>
> Isn't that was the whole gnetlist package *is* though?

At a certain level it is. That's its strength. But there's already
too much that goes on opaquely in the front end. Some things a back
end might like do are impossible. Passing command line arguments to
the back end is messy. Putting more processing in the front end will
just make this situation worse, while making the data more accessible
to the back end (with default handling in gnetlist.scm for back ends
that can use a common approach) will help.

But for usability, the issue is one of scripting at a higher level. I
love the way gnetlist interoperates so well with make, but users seem
increasingly impatient and helpless these days. Maybe a missing
ingredient is a Makefile creator.

Another missing ingredient is a backend tutorial. Too many are
intimidated by Scheme, which is a really simple language. But I'm
working on that.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx