Re: gEDA-user: gEDA schematic footprints

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 20:29 +0200, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
> If I order resistors, size 0805, they better fit a 0805 footprint ;-)
> Seriously, can you give an example for parts with arbitrary footprint?
>
> ---<)kaimartin(>---

Of course. Many ICs of my DSO board are available in different shapes.
I.E most OpAmps are available in SO8 or SOT23-5 shape. In datasheet they
often use fancy names for footprints, so you have to be very carefully
when ordering. Very dangerous is the SO16 which is used by MAX232. There
are small, medium and width variants of SO16. For my first gEDA board
with AT90USB1287 I used a wrong SO16 variant.

And for my current DSO board: I was very carefully when selecting
footprints, but I am sure there will be some surprises when I put the
devices on the printed paper. (OK, not really the 0805 parts). So it is
clear that I have to order the devices and check shape before I can
order the PCB board.