Re: gEDA-user: pcb grid improvements... status of patch?

Colin D Bennett wrote:

>> Maybe we can store the grids in user preferences instead,
>> but that's potentially a fair bit of work.
>
> Regardless of implementation difficulty, user preferences are NOT the
> place to store grid configurations, since each layout will surely have
> its own grid setup depending on the component packages and physical
> constraints (board density etc.).

+1
There is already some information in user preference that should
really be configurabel on a per project base. Skipping through the
file:

grid-units-mm = 1
text-scale = 522
bloat = 984
shrink = 984
grid-increment-mil = 5.000000
grid-increment-mm = 0.100000
size-increment-mil = 10.000000
size-increment-mm = 0.200000
line-increment-mil = 8.000000
line-increment-mm = 0.100000
clear-increment-mil = 2.000000
clear-increment-mm = 0.500000
color-file = /home/kmk/.pcb/colors/layout_4layer
library-newlib = ~/geda/footprints:./footprints:.

There are some variables, that clearly are no preference at
all, but change constantly when routing:

via-thickness = 7086
via-drilling-hole = 4330
line-thickness = 9842

Other preferences are just defaults to be used for new layouts:
min-width = 591
min-silk = 591
min-drill = 1575
min-ring = 590
groups = 1,2,3,c:4,5,6,s:7:8
route-styles = (...snip...)

In addition, sometimes PCB uses the values in .pcb/settings as
a default. I found no obvious general rule when it uses which.
This preferences/settings business feels messy and somewhat
random. I'd welcome a move toward a clear distinction between
"user preference" and "project settings" and between "settings"
and their "defaults".

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak