Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog going git.

On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:09 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>>    Yep, that's pretty close to what I ended up doing.  I seem to
>> recall, however, that it pulled down *all* revisions to every source
>> file.  (this was many months and a whole lot of stressful times ago,
>> so my memory of this is fuzzy)
>
> It sounds like you'd missed the whole point of using git, and the
> difference
> between a "distributed" and "centralised" revision control system.
> With a
> distributed VCS, everyone has a full history of the source code.

   That makes a lot of sense...I can see the advantages of that
approach.

> If you don't want the full history -- perhaps you only want 100 or so
> revisions, so you can see what recent changes have been made --
> then recent
> versions of git-clone have supported a --depth option.  Note that you
> can't "push" new revisions from a repository cloned with --depth,
> but it
> doesn't sound like you'd be doing that anyway.

   Ahh, I sure wish --depth had been there when I messed with it.

> You made a point about git being difficult to build on non-Linux
> systems, and
> mentioned trying it a couple of years ago.

   It was maybe a year ago, or a bit more.

>   Bearing in mind that git is only
> a couple of months older than two years, and was developed
> specifically to
> manage the Linux kernel history, this shouldn't be too surprising.
> Although
> Windows support still sucks (because fork() on Windows sucks,
> basically) any
> problems building on Unix-y platforms is a big bug and should be
> reported as
> such.

   I've yet to see *anything* on Windows that doesn't suck.  My build
platforms were Solaris 9 on UltraSPARC and MacOS X on PowerPC.  I dug
around looking for info, and all the archived list posts I could find
had people asking what "distro" and "libc" people were running.  That
alone is often enough to make a non-Linux person run for the hills! ;)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL