Re: gEDA-user: Thoughts using gschem

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 08:10 +0900, John Doty wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Sean D'Epagnier wrote:

> It seems to me that your approach could be accommodated by fixing Hs
> so that it can go down into an embedded symbol. Embed your symbol,
> edit it as you please. No incompatible changes required to the software.

Good point - this really needs doing at some point. When I first found I
couldn't do this, I started looking to see what I'd broken in the code -
only later I discovered it isn't possible!

> On the other hand, what *I'd* really like is explicit support for the
> "project symbol library" concept. Specify it in gafrc. When you place
> a symbol from the regular library, a copy should be automagically
> placed in the project library. Symbols in the project library should
> have priority without "duplicate symbol" warnings. The project
> library should be first in the component dialog's list.

Email Peter B - he's working on the component selector / symbol
libraries. IIRC, he's not on the user list (or at least wasn't for a
while).

> > Ok, but it has all the information it needs to do it right?
>
> Not really. I suppose it could do it correctly within a page. When a
> connection is outside the page gschem doesn't have the information.
> There may not even be a unique right answer, since a page may be
> reused within a hierarchical design or reused between different flat
> designs. Software that gets the trivial cases right and the difficult
> cases wrong tends to drive users crazy ;-)

My plan was first to get the per-page net-listing to work on the fly.
>From then on, netlisting is just hierarchical merging of netlists. If
can come up with some way of telling gschem the "scope" of the entire
project, there is no technical reason why it can't traverse a larger
hierarchical netlist to find connectivity from there.

My pet peeve is software which is powerful - but CAN'T get the simple
cases right. (Like the UI on some commercial CAD packages / EDA tools).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,