Re: gEDA-user: spNet v0.9.2 released

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM, John P. Doty<jpd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anthony Shanks wrote:
>> I suppose makefiles are a matter of perspective. What you call
>> flexibility I call a missing feature. In my opinion a robust spice
>> netlister includes hierarchical netlisting and other features I
>> included in spNet that I see out in industry. In your opinion
>> netlisters should be bare bones and makefiles should be included in
>> your flow.
>
> One of the best programmers of all time once said "A program should do
> one thing well". So much waste could be avoided if people would just
> understand this simple principle.

Ok? Not sure how this is relevant to spNet.

>>  Ok thats fine. Whats the problem here? Are you always this
>> hostile to people who try to contribute to the community?
>
> You have spread serious misinformation on this list.
>
> You claim hierarchical netlists cannot be generated using gnetlist.

I said gnetlist cannot generate hierarchical schematics. How is that not true?

> You have misrepresented how the existing gEDA SPICE netlisting works in
> other ways: you plainly don't understand the usage of the model= and
> model-name= attributes.
>
> That makes me hostile.

I'm not misrepresenting anything. All I stated in my original post is
that I created a netlister that does hierarchical netlisting among
other feature that gnetlist doesn't provide. Which is true. Why would
that make you or anybody else hostile? Others here are appreciating my
work without being hostile nor have I been hostile to anybody on this
list, nor have I insulted anyone.

>> As someone
>> who is relatively new to the gEDA community I saw a huge gap in
>> gnetlist and gspiceui for people interested in using gEDA for IC
>> simulations so I thought I'd contribute.
>
> The gap is largely a result of not doing your homework. Study Stuart's
> stuff first.

I admit I am not a veteran of the gEDA community but in my opinion I
am filling a gap that the gEDA flow doesn't offer out of the box. If
you disagree that's fine but no reason to be hostile about it.

>>  I started with making a new
>> netlister and plan on making a new simulation gui comparable to what
>> you see in industry. Again, why so hostile? This is the first time
>> I've contributed to a open source project and never thought I'd be met
>> with such hostility.
>>

> Contributions are welcome. Misinformation isn't.

Again, where have I given any misinformation? All you have done so far
is prove there are workarounds the current flow.

> On the positive side, your netlister does not get in the way: it is a
> separate program that one can ignore. That's a good thing. But please,
> don't claim advantages where you are ignorant of what you're comparing
> it to. From where I sit, gnetlist is an amazing tool. It's the main
> thing that makes gEDA a superior toolkit.

I'm glad you're so warm and welcoming to outsiders.

You have problems man.